Solo Clown Portrait / "The Audition" / Script


The Wanderer's Pause


(Running in late for the audition - standing in front of impressive State Theatre - reading the sign.)


"Audition down the hall!"


(Marching down the hall. Stopping at door and next sign)


"Please wait."


(Putting down all things to wait. Decide to prepare by calming down with centre exercise.)


"Oh I hate this. I hate boundaries. I hate when I stand at the bottom of a mountain and someone says you can't climb that. I hate the one who says No! You Can't! Don't! Yes. I Will. I Can and I do."

(Scratch head discovering a flea)

"Oh a flea. You know that this tiny little insignificant creature can jump higher than any other insect in the whole world."



(Flea escapes into audience. Catching it.)

"Whoops - I told you. But if the flea is caught and put into a bottle and released some time later, than this flea can only jump the height of the container in which it was trapped. I hate the bottle. I hate catching, trapping and killing. Break the bottle. Break the container. Break the boundaries. Break them all and throw it away!

(Being called to audition)

Oh, my turn."


(Being asked to leave the walking stick, shoes and bag at the door. Refuses to leave bag.)


"Yes I will."


(Enter Audition room and introduce canvas. Begin in Korean but when no response slip into English.)


"I am the Wanderer. I come from no where and I am going everywhere.

(Hiding)

Tiny, insignificant, but I could be your sister. I am young, very, very young but I follow the ancient wisdom of the universe. I am the Wanderer."


(Move to side and remove back pack and begin to unpack.)


1. Small bags one after the other till discover whistle.
2. Reach in to discover shaker. See the sky and sing song:


Twinkle, Twinkle little star.


Twinkle, twinkle little star

How I wonder what you are?

Up above the world so high

Like a diamond in the sky

twinkle, twinkle little star how I wonder what you are!


(Repeat three times last time in Korean ending with "How I wonder what you are" as pensive question to "What am I?")


3. Reach in and get caught by scarf.


Taped Korean song: Flower. Dance Free the People.


(Dance concludes.)


"I have to go now. This is not my place. Thank you very much."


(Return to shoes and stick.)

Leave to find it raining.

Unpack umbrella & get caught by the wind. Flying high over everything using whistle for sound effect and gently landing.

Land right in a river and use umbrella as boat.

Singing:

Row, row, row your boat


Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream.


(Reflecting on the line, Life is but a dream, exit boat putting umbrella away.)


"Oh I love the wind, rain and sky. Sky - there was a wise man who loved the sky. Do you remember the flea trapped in the bottle. Well this man was trapped in jail. A political prisoner but his spirit jumped further than any other man in the whole world. He wrote a poem.


(Catching his spirit in the heart of an audience member.)


Look to your sky

That is why you keep falling down

for you have something to achieve

That is why you are lost

for you have a path to walk

that is why you go crying again

for you have something blossoming

When you are too tired to see ahead

Look to your sky

The sky you care for

cares for you/When you have tears because it is so hard

Quietly

Go to the deep place of your heart

Look to your sky."


(Exit wandering singing Korean dance song.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Play

A Requiem coming

Untamed