Kafka

Kafka has a dear place in my history ...

... Metamophosis, read at age 13, was the first work of fiction that made sense of the nonsense I felt around me ... after reading decided to spend a whole day as a worm at the high school ... arms entwined, squiggling from class to class ... great fun ...

... an adaptation by Steven Berkoff of The Trial was the first mainstage university production I directed (Nov. - Dec. 1989) ... an exhilarating experience ... the students were thrown into a process of me sorting through my European studies ... the retiring stage designer for that show was cleaning up his office when he found the original Trial maquette offered it to me which i gladly accepted despite wishing to unload rather than collect stuff ... photo to the left is from Emry's Dreams: Greystone Theatre in Photographs and Words taken by David Maneville ...

... Kafka resides in the deep recesses of my memory haunting as he haunted the 20th century ... await his latest incarnation ...

:: Note :: ... this piece A Message from the Emperor in the N.Y. Review of Books loosened these memories ... Mark Harman in translators notes: "I was mindful of the fact that Kafka often read his stories aloud with the 'rhythmic sweep, dramatic fire, and a spontaneity such as no actor achieves' " (Max Brod) ... would have loved to have heard him read ...

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Play

A Requiem coming

Untamed