Impulse WS


Workshop Impulse concluded

Awkwardly first described as Towards Action (from impulse through association to elements of inaction) the ten day sessions ultimately examined the practice and vocabulary of Joe Chaikin and the creative actor.

"I felt a terrific longing for a kind of ensemble," Mr. Chaikin told author William Goldman, for the book, "The Season." "I wanted to play with actors, actors who felt a sensitivity for one another... In order to come to a vocabulary, we had to teach each other: we had no ambitions other than to meet and play around... " (Playbill)

The days submerged into seven investigations: space, place, territory, emblem, sphere & zone, occupation & inhabit. 

The individual body & voice training exercises moved subtly into acts of mapping and connection forming constellations.

Words flowed from reflective actors lips: spontaneity, silence, source, partner, community, ether and beacon.

Fragments from Kassandra in the Anne Carson translation of Aiskhylos Agamemnon and Samuel Beckett Stories and texts for nothing (4, 8 & 9) were found, given, voiced & shared.

Chaikin Open Theater workshop, 1966. 

The improvisations were wondrous raids on the inarticulate. The studies were intense
I hear breathing. . . . I listen to it and feel it. It is regular and hypnotic. It turns into a drone, and I drone too. . . . I can hear it all around me; I am within it. I match myself to it. I don't want to alter it but to let it alter me. - A book on the Open Theatre - Robert Pasolli (32)
There was a murder. 

There was a mask.

A manifesto.


What is an impulse?
Calling Impulse from a far. 
Impulse is our root teacher.
Impulse is a very personal matter.
Impulse is the practice that enables us to mature.
An impulse bestows the empowerment to transmit a text. 

One can meet many impulses but experience no change.


:: Note :: ... deepest gratitude to Stefan, Kristen, Andrew and Jared ... when asked what they had taken away they responded ... a letting go of holding all mental attachment to ideas, allowing a free access to wholeness, an awareness for nothing, not to be an emerging artist but simply the artist ... thanks for the openness ...


Popular posts from this blog

Heart Play

A Requiem coming

Untamed